High Reliability Systems
- API RP 96 Deepwater Well Design and Construction document: This recommended practice (RP) provides engineers a reference for deepwater well design as well as drilling and completion operations.It identifies barrier and load case considerations to maintain well control during deepwater well operations (drilling, suspension, completion, production, and abandonment). And supplements barrier documentation in API 65-2 with a more detailed description of barriers and discussion of the philosophy, number, type, testing, and management required to maintain well control.
- IADC Deepwater Well Control Guidelines: Updated in early 2015, the revised deepwater guidelines include new content on operational risk management (process safety) and new content on well integrity, well planning, rig operations, equipment, procedures, training and drills, and emergency response. The publication provides guidance for maintaining primary well control, applying secondary well control methods and responding to an emergency in the event of a blowout.
- API Standard 65 – Part 2 Isolating Potential Flow Zones During Well Construction: This standard contains practices for isolating potential flow zones, an integral element in maintaining well integrity. The focus of this standard is the prevention of flow through or past barriers that are installed during well construction. Barriers that seal wellbore and formation pressures or flows may include mechanical barriers such as seals, cement, or hydrostatic head, or operational barriers such as flow detection practices. Operational barriers are practices that result in activation of a physical barrier. Though physical barriers may dominate, the total system reliability of a particular design is dependent on the existence of both types of barriers.
- API Bulletin 97: The Well Construction Interface Document (WCID) guidelines focus on terms of integration of the drilling contractor’s operating guidelines and the operator’s well plan. These guidelines include a section on barrier design, plans, installation, testing, risk identification and management. This document specifically addresses US SEMS regulations.
- IADC HSE Case Bridging Document Guidelines: Previously known as the Well Design and Execution Agreement, this document is intended to help facilitate communication between operators and drilling contractors regarding well construction. It is also designed to be used as a companion document to the IADC HSE Case Guidelines. Barrier plans and well control practices are specifically addressed in this document. This document covers similar ground to API 97, but is global in scope and does not refer nor conform to any specific regulatory requirements. It is currently in draft form subject to final review.
- NORSOK D-010: Comprehensive document defining barriers, barrier schematics, requirements, selection criteria, construction principles, testing, monitoring, re-establishment, maintenance, record keeping and overall management. Covers all aspects of barrier management during drilling, testing, completion, production, abandonment, wireline, coil tubing, snubbing, under-balanced, managed pressure drilling, and pumping operations.
- Oil and Gas UK Well Integrity Guidelines: These guidelines, updated in June 2014, were written by the Well Life Cycle Integrity Guidelines workgroup of the Well Life Cycle Practices Forum (WLCPF). The guidelines are relevant to all wells and well operations in the UK for the extraction of naturally occurring hydrocarbons. The guidelines describe what is believed to be good industry practice and refer to relevant legislation, standards and practices. The guidelines concentrate on “typical” wells and “standard” operations.
- PSA Principles for Barrier Management document: Defines the PSA’s approach to barriers and barrier management. Not a regulation in itself, but is designed to make PSA’s regulations on barriers and barrier management more accessible. Covers barrier definition, planning, execution, measurement, verification and maintenance.
- Norwegian Oil and Gas 117 Recommended Guidelines on Well Integrity: Includes recommended practices for well integrity training, well handover documentation, barrier schematics for the operational phase, well categorization and a well integrity management system.
- ISO 16530 Well Integrity Life Cycle Governance: Currently under development, ISO 16530 is intended to provide guidance to the Well Operator on managing well integrity throughout the well life cycle. The standard consists of two parts: Part 1: Life cycle governance; and Part 2: Well integrity for the operational phase(Technical Specification).
- EU Offshore Safety Directive: Requires that Competent Authorities track barriers, barrier management, and independent verification of barriers. Reporting requirements include reporting failure of any well control barrier requiring its replacement or repair.