BOP Reliability Database
Definition: The creation of a global, centralized database of blowout preventer reliability information, the analysis of which can offer solutions to improve blowout preventer performance.
A BOP reliability database includes:
- Defining the BOP data to be captured.
- The means of capturing, qualifying the integrity of and distributing the data
- Consensus on the ownership and management of the data and its distribution
- Clearing legal and other obstacles to sharing data
- The terms of analysis of the data to determine improvement opportunities
Summary of findings: Two significant efforts, put forward by OGP and a “Group of 7” drilling contractors, are currently underway to develop a robust, inclusive and comprehensive BOP reliability database. These two efforts intend to come together through a JIP. Others are considering starting efforts of their own as well.