High Reliability Systems
Definition: The ongoing process of assuring that sufficient barriers are in place to prevent the unintentional release of hydrocarbons.
Barrier management includes:
- The definition of a barrier to the unintentional release of hydrocarbons.
- Determining the strength or effectiveness of a barrier
- Systems to determine and ensure that the appropriate number and type of barriers are in place at each stage of the well control lifecycle
- Tracking the engagement, effectiveness and integrity of barriers in place during the well lifecycle
- Determining personnel roles and responsibilities for barrier management at the wellsite
Process Safety Culture
Definition: Building a systemic culture of understanding process safety to promote the reduction and ultimate elimination of unplanned events.
Process safety culture includes:
- Defining process safety culture as it relates to the drilling industry
- Determining the elements that constitute a process safety culture
- Embedding process safety culture elements into training, policies, procedures and leadership
- Tracking process safety events and incorporating lessons learned from them